Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Friendly Fires

I had the opportunity to see Friendly Fires, a percussive dance-pop trio from the UK, here in Boston last weekend at the Paradise. Having only released one full-length LP, Friendly Fires, I wasn't sure if these dudes were the real deal - I love their album, but seeing a band in action is the true test for me. Turns out they passed with flying colours (see what i did there?). They weren't just good, they were great. They came on after White Lies (also a great band from across the pond) with immediate and intense energy that showed no signs of slowing throughout the entire set. They had a giddy, yet clean, tight sound and made everyone in the place dance their asses off. Even their sappy songs felt kinetic, with disco bass lines, hand-clapping, hi-hats, shimmering synths and the constant clip of cowbells.

I posted some of their best songs and remixes below as a warmup but do yourself a favor and go see them tear it up on stage. And I strongly urge you to bring your dancing shoes.




And a "Skeleton Boy" video for good measure. . .

No comments: