Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh Happy Day

Let it be known that today is a great day for music and videos. Why? Because I say it is. One of the highlights, “My Girls” by Animal Collective is one of the first couple of singles from their mind-numbingly rich and colorful new album "Merriweather Post Pavilion". I realize we’re only a month into 2009, but it’s my current frontrunner for album of the year, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. It may just go down as one of the better albums of the decade. This album is no f-in' joke.

Animal Collective is often rejected in some circles as being inaccessible or experimental - while I can understand that some people just don’t have an ear for their previous work, this album brings experimentation and accessibility together, with a much sharper focus on melody than past albums. The rewards that come from listening to the album are endless, every time I listen to the album I uncover treasures undiscovered throughout previous listens. This album is worth checking out, no matter what type of music you’re into.

Playlist:
1. "My Girls", the song of the year so far on the album of the year so far (sorry the song is cut short - the full version can be heard with the video below)
2. “Mykonos”, a beautiful song by Fleet Foxes off their “Sun Giant” EP
3. "Can you Hear My Kids Now", The Hood Internet’s nasty booty-shaking mashup of Lil’ Kim and MGMT
4. “Lay it Down”, a catch new single by Peter Bjorn & John
5. “Frank, AB” by a little known, yet awesome band called Rural Alberta Advantage
6. “No One Does it Like You” by Department of Eagles
7. “No Karma” a remix of Jay-Z and Radiohead off the album. . . wait for it. . . “Jaydiohead” by Minty Fresh Beats
8. “Bounce” by Detroit's very own, Black Milk
9. "Berlin" by electro-80's-folk band, Alaska in Winter




Animal Collective – “My Girls”
The video isn’t quite as good as the song, but that would have to be one hell of a video. Still very well done, howeva.



Rex The Dog – “Bubblicious”
One of my favorite videos of the short year so far.



CFCF – “Crystal Mines”
Creepy/weird/funny as all hell – cut from the 1974 French movie "Les Nuits Rouges". Just try to stop watching. . . you can’t.



The BPA – “He’s Frank”
The Brighton Port Authority aka Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim returns with 'He's Frank' featuring the legendary Iggy Pop. Quite entertaining. He’s released two other videos/songs I featured on the blog which are also well done. His album “I Think We're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat” is coming out soon, and so far I like what I’ve heard. . .



Peter Bjorn & John – “Lay it Down”
This is video for one of PB&J's songs off their upcoming album “Living Thing.” The video doesn’t make any damn sense, but it's fun to try and figure out what the fuck they were thinking or what types of illicit street drugs they were mixing. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...

IF you were ever actually selling mixtapes (which you wouldn't because it's illegal ::wink:: ) I would buy them.

I'm just saying.

And I mean that as a compliment.

Anonymous said...

Gee - site is looking good! And you have great taste. :)
-Kaley