Monday, January 26, 2009

Artist Spotlight: Ghostland Observatory

This is how Aaron Behrens and Thomas Turner describe themselves: “Ghostland Observatory is not a band, but an agreement between two friends to create something that not only heals their beat-driven hearts, but pleases their rock ‘n roll souls.”

I first heard this Austin, TX-based duo about 3 years ago and their sound grabbed me instantly, threw me on the floor and kicked me repeatedly in the groin – and I mean that in the best way possible. On the surface, I suppose you could describe their sound as electro-funk-dance-rock or some derivative thereof, but digging deeper you’ll find that placing a label on their genre is an exercise in futility. Really, it’s whatever you want it to be, and I think Aaron and Thomas would agree. Their music is all about having fun and dancing your balls off. Simple as that. It’s not complex music; at its root, Ghostland’s music is created with a beat-synthesizer, keyboard, occasional guitar and Aaron’s loud pipes. Simple. Basic. But I’ll be damned if they didn’t put those instruments together in a pot, stir them up and create magical dancefloor wizardry.

They have released 3 studio albums to date: Delete.Delete.I.Eat.Meat, Paparazzi Lightning, and their most recent, Robotique Majestique. Each album comes highly recommended and each is filled with its share of floor-shaking beats and dance party classics. Recognizing that this music isn’t for everyone, if you appreciate a unique sound and like to dance, chances are you’ll dig these guys.

Even more impressive than their studio albums are Ghostland’s live shows. I had the privilege of seeing them for the first time about 2 years ago at a small venue in Boston. The energy they managed to create at this 50-person show was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. The show was nowhere close to being sold out, but instead of putting it on cruise control, they went ape-shit and blew the roof off the place. Aaron’s ridiculous dance moves and energy are as infectious as I’ve ever seen in a frontman. I also had the opportunity to talk to both Aaron and Thomas after the show since it was so small – they were extremely down to earth, very friendly and unassuming. I got the feeling that they simply love making music and while they are destined for stardom, it seems they are more interested in having fun and sharing their art than making it big. That’s the way it should be. Since that show, they have built up a large following outside of Austin, and their shows have continued to get even better as they refine their act.

Below are some songs I threw together off of each album. If you like what you hear, support these guys – go to their shows and buy their albums. Enjoy.

No comments: