Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Songs of the Week: 2/10/09

Hello friends. I told you I'd have some more tunes for you today and I'm a man of my word. So here you go. . .

1. Temper Trap - "Sweet Disposition": I posted this song a few weeks ago but need to repost because it's just that good. They are a new band from Australia with only an EP released so far. Eagerly waiting to hear more.

2. The Helio Sequence - "Hallelujah": Great song from the electro-indie duo from Oregon. I highly recommend their album Keep Your Eyes Ahead.

3. Animal Collective - "Summertime Clothes": Yet another incredible song off their recently-released Merriweather Post Pavilion album. If you missed my feelings on the album, they are here.

4. AmpLive - "VideoTapez": A great mashup of Radiohead vs. Del the Funky Homosapien.

5. The Hood Internet - "Light Falsetto Music": Another remix by Girl Talk rivals The Hood Internet, this one mixes The Dream with Cut Copy's "Lights and Music," which is a great song in it's own right.

6. Foals - "Big Big Love (Fig.2)": One of the best songs off the British punk-dance band's Antidotes - a solid album.

7. Jape - "Nothing Lasts Forever": Richie Egan aka Jape from Dublin is an interesting one man electro-folk band. Cool stuff.

8. Elbow - "Starlings": I can't get Peter Gabriel out of my head when I hear this guy sing, but that aside, the arangement and beauty of this song speaks for itself.

9. David Holmes - "I Heard Wonders": A song of of Irish DJ/Film Score-Composer David Holmes' The Holy Pictures.

10. Portishead - "Machine Gun": As I've mentioned before, these guys came back with vengance on thier Third album - this is just another example. Admittedly, it's not for everyone, but unique enough to be post-worthy.




Peter Bjorn & John - "Nothing to Worry About"
These guys seem to be pretty adept at creating what-the-fuck?-type videos (see "Lay it Down" in addition to the video below).

To quote Pitchfork's description of this video. . . "Tatted-up balding biker street-dancing dudes with giant coifs have "Nothing to Worry About" in the second clip from Writer's Block follow-up Living Thing. I think the technical term for a cinematic work like this is "quirky as fuck""



Fleet Foxes - "Mykonos"
This is a great song I featured a couple weeks ago from Seattle-based hippie rockers Fleet Foxes off their Sun Giant EP. I'm not surprised that they complimented it with an equally awesome video after seeing their video for "Winter White Hymnal" a couple months ago. These guys get it.



Royksopp - "Remind Me"
This video is a classic. You may recognize a different version of this song from a Geico commercial. Why a remixed version of the song was put to this video, I don't know, but awesome nevertheless.

No comments: